What Can You Do to Move the Dashboard Indicators in the Right Direction?
In each indicator, we highligh "Ideas for Change" -- real, simple solutions that you, your business, or your elected official can implement to help move these indicators in the right direction. Here are additional ways to make a difference:
- Use water more efficiently. Watering landscaping less frequently and replacing inefficient toilets will substantially reduce residential water waste.
- "Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.” Decline single-use plastics like shopping bags or water bottles and instead bring your own.
- Effective government begins with you. Plug into policy decisions impacting our region’s quality of life through Equinox e-news. Encourage policy makers to consider long-term quality of life impacts into plans for job growth and economic recovery.
- Support Equinox Center’s non-partisan research and analysis through monthly or annual contributions.
- Consider alternate modes of transport, carpooling and consolidating errands so that you spend less time in traffic, reduce your carbon impact and reduce vehicle emissions that hurt our region's air quality and public health.
- Create an employee-led sustainability committee to identify opportunities to cut waste and costs.
- Reduce regional traffic
congestion and improve employee morale by allowing
flex time or telecommuting.
- Underwrite Equinox Center’s non-partisan research or convenings to drive informed decision making on quality of life issues impacting our region’s ability to attract and retain the best talent.
- Follow Equinox’s online sustainability blog series to explore sustainability facts and best practices among San Diego companies or share your own.
- Develop a “sustainability scorecard” to measure things like your business' total energy demand and costs, or the commuter mileage of all employees. Engage employees in identifying cost-saving opportunities with environmental benefits.
- In developing economic and job growth strategies, push for solutions that also enhance stewardship of natural resources and advance quality of life in the region.
- Turn to Equinox Center as a resource for research, policy briefs, best practices and solutions to help you.
- Insist that new or existing policies incorporate clear benchmarks and targets so that we learn what’s working and what isn’t.