Factoid Friday: Green ways to beat the heat this Labor Day weekend
With temperatures in our region promising to continue their recent upwards trend, many San Diegans are looking for ways to stay cool this holiday weekend. However this approach often yields high energy use county-wide as people rely on air conditioners to keep cool. But beating the heat this doesn’t have to come at such a high price for the environment. Here are a few energy efficient ways to cool off this weekend:
- Organize a happy hour with your family or friends. Happy hours typically occur right around the same time as peak energy use hours. Why not give your air conditioner (and energy bill) a break and enjoy the pairing of a cool, fun environment and good company.
- Have a “cooling off” party at your house. Invite your friends and family to come over for food, games or a movie. Yes, your air conditioning will be on but it’s still better than everyone using their own.
- Attend a town hall or HOA meeting. Not only are these meetings usually held in air conditioned spaces, but they allow you the opportunity to meet local faces and get involved in your community.
- Go out. Movie theaters, malls and restaurants are all cool and refreshing places to escape to when the weather is warm. In addition to these outings being fun, they also promote investing in local businesses, which is always beneficial for our region’s economy.
- Play local. Why spend money, gas and time traveling through traffic this weekend when the perfect getaway is right here in San Diego?! Head to the beach this weekend, where coastal temperatures are a bit lower and the ocean is refreshingly cool.